Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Wuthering Heights : Ralph Fiennes as Heathcliff ?


(1777, aged about 13) Do you mark those two lines between your eyes; and those thick brows, that, instead of rising arched, sink in the middle; and that couple of black fiends, so deeply buried, who never open their windows boldly, but lurk glinting under them, like devil's spies?
(1783, aged about 19) A ray fell on his features; the cheeks were sallow, and half covered with black whiskers; the brows lowering, the eyes deep-set and singular. I remembered the eyes.
Ralph fiennes (he who should not be named) played Heathcliff in one of the movie adaptation (there are eight movie adaptations)  of "Wuthering Heights" - a classic story of  love that destroyed everyone it touched.I have been reading this book for quiet some time now and every time I read Ellen's description of the anti hero  , even in my wildest imagination , I did not picture Ralph fiennes as Heathcliff.Now after going through the list of movie adaptations and trailers , I am sure Julliet Binoche did a great job in choosing Fiennes to play the Fiend.It didnt work out well for Laurence oliver  or Tomy Hardy or James Husow.To me, Heathcliff is one of the most complex and compelling characters ever written and I had once thought that any actor would fall short in playing him in a film or miniseries. Having watched this beautiful and haunting adaptation of one of this novel which I just finished reading , I have to say that Ralph Fiennes has more than succeeded in bringing the aforementioned anti-hero to life. Emily Bronte would have been proud. Everyone who has read Wuthering Heights knows about the tragic love story between Cathy and Heathcliff and how he becomes a dark, brooding, manipulative, diabolical man who takes his revenge on the people who he feels have wronged him and torn him away from Cathy, including her daughter and his own child and ward. Fiennes brings out Heathcliff's many conflicting emotions flawlessly and his performance floored me.I think when it comes to playing a diabolic unsympathetic brute , no one does it better than Fiennes.

No comments:

Post a Comment